The use of artificial intelligence in the classroom provides numerous opportunities to boost and energize the teaching-learning process. However, with the rise of the chat system called ChatGPT, exploring these benefits is also meaning facing various concerns, such as:
- Could the use of artificial intelligence generate dependency in students?
- What will happen to the development of critical thinking if information is provided to students automatically?
- Is there a risk that it will replace the skills and experience of teachers?
ChatGPT in the Classroom: Exploring Opportunities and Challenges of Artificial Intelligence
To answer these questions, first of all, it should not be forgotten that, over the years, various tools have emerged that at the time were also a concern for teachers. However, nowadays, the daily use of calculators and spell checkers does not mean that the human factor can be completely set aside when performing mathematical operations or editing texts.
Similarly, virtual assistants on smartphones or Internet search engines are not a replacement for human abilities to request and search for information.
That said, let's move on to the answers to our questions.
Can ChatGPT foster a dependent relationship in students?
While the use of ChatGPT is a great opportunity to boost autonomous learning and lead learners to take the reins of their own training process, it is true that its ease of use can create dependency if proper boundaries are not set.
In reality, like any digital tool, the active role of the active role of the teacher the ways and moments in which it can be used, in order to function as a complement and not as a substitution. to function as a complement and not as a substitution of teaching methods. of teaching methods. In this sense, some recommendations to achieve this are:
- Striking a balance: It is possible to balance the use of technology and other forms of learning, for example, by defining which are the specific occasions in which students can access the tool and which are, on the contrary, the situations in which they will be asked for originality, analytical skills and joint construction of knowledge.
- Encourage other sources of research: It is also essential to continue to teach students to explore and use other information resources, such as books, scholarly articles, teaching materials, and interviews.
- Take advantage of physical spaces: On the other hand, you can also take advantage of face-to-face dynamics in the classroom, organizing debates and discussions that allow students to contrast their points of view, as well as develop different socialization and communication skills.
Don't miss out: Digitalization and technological innovation in schools, key elements for the coming years.
Is it possible to boost critical thinking in an automatic information environment?
However, one of the most controversial topics when talking about the use of artificial intelligence in education is the possible inhibition of critical thinking. However, this fear also depends on the point of view from which it is approached.
If ChatGPT is conceived as a platform that allows us to question and evaluate the answers it offers us, the development of critical skills and the ability to discriminate information can be promoted, guiding students to learn to verify the accuracy of data.by guiding students to learn how to verify the accuracy of the data.
Also, let's remember that an artificial intelligence is not capable of having a personal perspective that would allow it to emulate critical thinking. In fact, in the words of ChatGPT, the main reasons for this are: lack of self-experience, lack of self-awareness, limitations in understanding the human world and dependence on programming.
Therefore, not only is it possible to drive reasoning in learners through technology, but this human component will continue to be essential to:
- Reflection and analysis
- The evaluation of bias and prejudice
- Informed decision making
- Creativity and originality
You might be interested in: Multiple Intelligences: Rethinking school assessment in schools.
Is the role of the teacher endangered in the face of technology?
After all of the above, it is clear that the role of the teacher will continue to be fundamental in the new teaching-learning dynamics dynamics that will be woven hand in hand with artificial intelligence.
Likewise, the traditional role of the teacher will continue. Today more than ever, aspects such as human interaction and empathy, as well as guiding students, motivating them and providing them with a personalized education with the necessary emotional support, become fundamental. All of this will play a central role in designing meaningful learning experiences that go beyond the simple transmission of information.
How ChatGPT can boost school dynamics
With all that has been discussed so far, there is no doubt that ChatGPT can function as an instrument of great value to enhance the educational dynamics of schools and provide students with new learning opportunities. new learning opportunities for students.. Some examples of this are:
- Personalization of learning: One of the characteristics of artificial intelligence is that it has the ability to learn and improve over time. With this, it can adapt to the level of understanding and learning style of each student, providing them with personalized educational materials, as well as specific recommendations for their training process. This opens up the possibility of raising the educational level of institutions.
- Improved feedback: Likewise, ChatGPT has the power to provide individualized, immediate and detailed feedback on each student's work. In this way, it can serve as a virtual tutor, helping students to identify areas for improvement and strengthen their understanding of the concepts seen in class.
- Enrichment of pedagogical resources: Another great advantage of this tool is that it can generate various types of teaching materials, such as study guides, questionnaires, summaries, essays, exercises and interactive activities, bringing dynamism to schools' teaching strategies.
Preparing students for a digital world
In conclusion, artificial intelligence is a reality of our current society, and as such, it is inevitable. Therefore, it is crucial that students are educated about its responsible and effective use. responsible and effective useIt is therefore crucial that students are educated about its responsible and effective use, so that they can take full advantage of its benefits while minimizing possible risks. In this way, it can be integrated as a valuable tool in the daily life of the classroom.
In fact, by giving them the opportunity to become familiar with this technology in the educational environment, we are not only enriching the teaching-learning process, but we are also preparing students to adapt to an increasingly digitalized world, fostering the development of skills relevant to their future, which will lead them to successfully face the challenges of the 21st century.
At Phidiaswe are committed to a better education, which is why we have more than 18 years of experience contributing to the development of educational institutions of excellence. Contact us at and find out how we can help you.